Monday, January 24, 2011

Mountaneer

Understanding Stereo-type
~I have experienced a negative stereo-type after I moved to WV from Ohio. Most of the stereo-type comes in the form of jokes and picking. I can remember one Christmas my boyfriend and I received a few Cd's that "Hillbillies" listen to or the "we WV's listen to." Most of the picking comes from my boyfriends brother-in-law.
I do use the word "hillbilly" when explaining that not all WV's are impoverished or technologically challenged, in the area that I reside. There are not any parts of WV I avoid however, I have not been to many areas in the state. Since I am not originally from WV I don't have a strong feelings about the TV caricatures.

The Power of Nature
~My first experience with clarity from nature happened when I first visited Valley Falls.  During my  first few months of living here my boyfriend and I made it a point to visit the local state parks around us. That was when we spent the day walking along the rocks of the river.  the peace and calm that the rushing water produced was therapeutic because from the time that you are visiting the falls they are all that you can hear. I think that people have a natural connection to nature but because they are not able to enjoy it often they become closed off, we need to nurture them and help them to realize there natural tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment